Statistically Normal

But with only 50% confidence.

Thursday, August 13, 2009

A Good Day to Die

I probably devote 30 minutes a day - minimum - to pondering how I will die. I don't believe it will be a peaceful death, surrounded by loved ones in a hospital bed. Or in my own comfy bed in my sleep. I won't be old and gray.

No. I picture my death as brutal. Bloody. A car accident, perhaps. Body parts scattered across the highway. Stabbing. Gun shot. Blood and tissue splattered across a white wall. Pieces of my body collected in a box, some missing, and handed to my next of kin with deepest regrets. The pain is great at the finale - but isn't the pain of living rather great itself?

I can see that sort of death for me. A young death. Terrible tragedy. Little old ladies clucking as they gossip over it. I don't see a happy ending. Not because I'm depressed. I just don't see a happy ending for me.

The upside to such an ending is no need for retirement savings. Just blow it all and live in the moment. All that retirement savings is is simply a very large bet that you will live to spend it. Granted, one that most people WANT to win. but how many actually live to spend that retirement savings?

If you be against living to retirement and lose - find yourself old and poor - you can always cheat and STILL win by bringing death to you own door. It's quite simply a bet that you can't lose!

Okay, so I'm morbid. So what? For some people, the probability of death is success, not failure.

Maybe I just think too much.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home